Tuesday 15 November 2011

The small matter of research

Sometimes people ask me how much research I do for any particular project, so I thought I'd show you.

I am currently in the final stages of completing my first gamebook for Warhammer 40K, Herald of Oblivion. I know this universe pretty well, but I don't have an eidetic memory, so it's more a case of I know where to look for the information I need in the first place.

I used all of the books and magazines in the photograph above during the process of writing and re-writing Draft One of Herald of Oblivion, and that doesn't include the odd bits of info I checked online or which I was confident enough to put in without checking, or the things I checked from other sources altogether.

So, as you can see, even for a fictional book about a fictional universe there's a fair bit of research to be done. And there are probably still going to be things that the editors pick up on the first read through that will need altering.

No comments: