Friday 27 August 2010

Hammer and Bolter (a.k.a. Inferno! reborn)

Many moons ago I used to write for Black Library's bi-monthly anthology magazine Inferno! It was a great publication, showcasing new talent, publishing new stories connected with established characters, one-off comic strips and prequels (or sometimes extended epilogues) to new novels.

I contributed some thirteen short stories to the mag during its all-too-short seven year existence, mainly concerning the Kislevite mercenary Torben Badenov and the Necromundan bounty hunter Nathan Creed*, and I dreamt of the day when a whole edition would be given over to one of my creations (as had happened with Dan Abnett's Gaunt's Ghosts and Graham McNeill's Ultramarine Uriel Ventris). When it ceased publication, it was a sad day indeed...

So it is very exciting to be able to share the news with you now that Inferno! is being reincarnated, this time as a new download-only short fiction magazine called Hammer and Bolter. The logo looks like this:


I've known about this for a while now but, as duly requested, have kept it under my hat. But now the information is in the public domain I can plug away to my heart's content. There's not actually anything of mine in the new mag - at least not yet - but if it's anything like Inferno! used to be, I urge you now to subscribe. And it only costs £2.50 a month. That's less than a pint where I come from!

So, watch this space...

* Somebody once complained that I was so vain as to name Nathan Creed after myself, the similarities with the name Jonathan Green being so obvious. Well obvious to all but me at the time. The Creed part of the name came from James Herbert's novel of the same name and I just thought the name Nathan sounded quite cool at the time. Perhaps it was a subconscious referencing of my own name, but it certainly wasn't a conscious one.

No comments: